Orangedale Station - Orangedale

by Jim St. Clair

Orangedale StationThe Orangedale Station is the only one of the original dozen Intercolonial Railway Stations built in Cape Breton to provide shelter and services to the travelling public on the new railroad constructed in the 1880's and early 1890's. The station was located at what had previously been a farming community. It came to be the centre for the developing village of Orangedale which took its name from the Orangemen's Hall.

The building is constructed in "Railway Queen Anne" style with a bold statement of the hopeful nature of Cape Bretoners and Nova Scotians in the 1880's when it seemed that the economy in a new industrial age would be strong. The building was modified turrets and a number of very intricate features such as the scalloped shingles and the winding staircase leading to the second floor.

Orangedale StationThe station is build of stacked timbers, well squared. But the construction has a memory of older log houses with timber placed on timber. The second storey of the station provided a home for the Station Agent and his family - the MacFarlane Family of Mull River and Orangedale were resident there for two generations with Jim MacFarlane being the first station agent for Orangedale Station.
The building has been carefully returned to something quite similar to its original condition with much research going into the colour of the paint and the trim and the design of the canopy covering the station platform. The building is a treasure in the collection of Inverness County Architecture.