MacFarlane House, Mull River

by Jim St. Clair

MacFarlane House, Mull RiverSituated on a hill overlooking a large meadow system, and surrounded by four hundred acres of woodlands, some of "climax forest", the MacFarlane House has been home to five generations of members of the MacFarlane Family. Built in 1871 by Hugh and Mary (MacDonald) MacFarlane, the building has remained much as it was constructed by local contractor Alex P. MacEachern. With a main section of the house containing four rooms downstairs, and an "ell" containing three rooms downstairs, the modified vernacular Gothic house has as one its main features a large peaked dormer over the front door. The peaked windows in the peaked dormer remind many viewers of church windows. The front door has modest columns of a Greek Revival style. The windows as were typical of the period of six panes (or lights) over six. The side facing the road has its original narrow clapboards. The building is constructed of timber cut on the property and sawed in the former Worth sawmill nearby. It also contains boards from the earlier centre chimney house which stood on the same site and was taken down as the 1871 House was constructed. The house is one property which has remained in the MacFarlane Family and its descendants since 1820 when they came from the Isle of Mull, Scotland. While typical of the style of the house built throughout Inverness County, it is one of the very few with most of its original features in place.