MacDonald-MacIntyre House, Glendyer

by Ned MacDonald

MacDonald-MacIntyre House, GlendyerNestled in a glen beside a large brook and a tree lined winding road stands a historically significant structure that personifies the heritage home in Inverness County.

Donald MacDonalds' of Glendyer first settled in the area during the summer of 1848. By 1849 he was married to Nancy MacDonald of MacLellan's Brook, Pictou County. They had six children. When Donald arrived in Glendyer he was twenty three years old and set about to erect a Fulling and Dyeing Mill, then a gristmill, and subsequently a saw mill. After his dedth in 1866 his sons, Donald Skinner and Walter continued with the same intense industry as their father. In 1881, the sons of the "Dyer" built the 1st Glendyer Woolen Mills. In 1885 these mills were totally destroyed by fire. Within three months a new and larger mill was built and served the people of Inverness County for many years. It is interesting to note that Donald's grandfather came to Pictou from the parish of Kilmorack, Scotland, in the ship "Hector" (1773) and settled on what was then known as Middle River, and is now known as Westville, Pictou County.

The house itself is designed in four separate sections in a brocketted style with hood mouldings on the Gothic revival windows. Much of the design of the house is Gothic Revival which was adopted by builders in mid-nineteenth century Nova Scotia. Roofs (cross gable) were steeply pitched and suited to heavy rains or snowfall. The interior is featured with local hardwoods and masterfully crafted. Placement of windows on stairways and high ceiling with decorative styling add to the distinct character of this beautiful home.

Presently the house is owned by Kathy MacIntyre who is carefully and meticulously restoring much of its interior elegance and who continues to maintain the building as a grand example of Cape Breton architecture in the nineteenth century.