Logo and Historical Sketch
The logo bears the image of a person with arms outstretched, ready to embrace whatever comes his/her way. In the background are the minerals beneath us, the waters which at once threaten and sustain us, and overhead the heavens which cover us. The head of the person is also the sun which forms a picture as it rises over the water and the hills. The logo completes itself with the letter "I" for Inverness which also makes the feet of the person and is circled by the letter "C" for the word County.
The Municipality of the County of Inverness was incorporated by an act of the Nova Scotia Legislature in 1837. Formerly known as Juste-au-Corps (1834-35) due to the French workmen and soldiers who was sometimes waist deep in water as they took rock from Port Hood Island to build the mighty fortress at Louisbourg. The designation of Inverness was as a result of the efforts of Fr. Mac Donell of St.Andrews Parish in Judique. He thought that the Scottish immigrants would feel more at home in an area named after their ancestral home. William Young was the M.P. and he stopped to visit Father on many occasions and ultimately the conversation would revert to naming the County a more suitable name. Thus, you have the name-Inverness after the settler's homeland that lived around and in Inverness-shire Scotland.
Inverness County has distinguished itself with celebrated men and women of vision and tenacity who have made their mark in the Church, politics, the academic world as well as the legal and teaching profession. From the settlement of Inverness County it has been characterized by an agrarian self-sufficiency that has sustained itself over hard times.
The Municipality of Inverness County, has a population of approximately 15,519. Despite the exodus of many of our young and talented youth, the county has been able to sustain itself and become a viable service center with a sustainable base.
Many changes have taken place over the years and the amalgamation of council boundaries has been one of these changes. At present the Municipality has six districts that are represented by elected councilors every 4 years. They are:
The landmass of the county stretches the western section of Cape Breton Island from the northern tip of Meat Cove to the southern section of Port Hastings. The main areas of employment are the primary industries of forestry, fishing and farming.